Thursday, June 27, 2013

Beef enchiladas with easy homemade sauce

I made roasted broccoli for the side; it
isn’t exactly a Mexican side but it’s easy
and I needed a veggie.
These are really simple beef and cheese enchiladas; you could add beans, onions, peppers, chilis, etc — I was just going for simple.

I made my own sauce for the first time; you can use the sauce in the can but it’s super easy to make and there is not a bunch of preservatives and fillers this way. This is also thicker than the canned sauce, which I like.

For the sauce:

  • 15 oz can of tomato sauce
  • 15 oz can of crushed tomatoes 
  • 2 TBS chili powder
  • 2 tsp cumin
  • 1 tsp garlic powder
  • 1 tsp onion powder
  • 1 tsp chipotle chili pepper (if you don’t already have this, you can leave it out, but it adds a really good smokey flavor)

Whisk all ingredients and cook on very low heat for about 15 minutes, whisking every so often so it doesn’t stick. Remove from heat and set aside.

For the enchiladas:

  • 6 soft taco tortillas
  • 1 lb 96% lean ground beef, browned
  • 1 cup low fat shredded mozzarella
  • 1/2 cup fat free cottage cheese
  • 2 cups low fat mexican blend shredded cheese
  • Fat free Greek yogurt for topping

This is what the beef looked like
after I ground it in the mini chopper
About how much filling to use
I browned the beef and then pulsed it in my mini chopper in two batches to get it much finer than I can ever get it by breaking it up in the pan. Blend the meat in a mixing bowl with the mozzarella, cottage cheese, and one cup of the sauce.

Spray a 9x13 pan with olive oil. Divide the meat mixture into 6 equal parts, lay on half of the tortilla, carefully roll, and place seam-side down in the pan.



Leave a little bit of space between them when you place them in the pan. Cover with as much of the sauce as you want; I use a lot but save some for topping later. Top with the 2 cups of Mexican cheese, cover and bake on 350 for 20 minutes. Uncover and bake for an additional 5-10 minutes if you want to brown the cheese on top. Let sit for 5-10 minutes before eating.


I use La Banderita soft taco low carb tortillas, which only have 81 calories each. A lot of the brands have a ton of calories (even the whole wheat) so I always buy these. I also bought tomato sauce and crushed tomatoes that had the least number of ingredients (no added sugar) as possible. I was able to get each enchilada down to 390 calories total, probably a little less because I don’t use all of the sauce. Amazingly, I only ate one plus the broccoli, so my dinner was still under 500 calories.

No comments:

Post a Comment